November Club Presentation – Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS)

ARISS Webinar

ARISS-proposal

ARISS Suggested Equipment Set-Up

ariss_ground_station

Videos

 

 

Posted in SLAARC News

November President’s Newsletter and Meeting Notice

Perfect Weather for Antenna Work

The weather is turning and that means time for all the antenna work that was not done during the Summer. Current forecast is for wind and rain with potential for snow at the end of the week. We all know that antennas perform the best when snow is falling during their installation.

ARISS

The Salem-South Lyon Library and South Lyon East High School are working on the ARISS proposal for the second half of 2019. SLAARC’s role will be minimal until the educational and community package has be put together.

Updates to SLAARC Constitution and Bylaws

We are updating the two documents to reflect the wishes of club members to focus club meetings on presentations, projects, show-and-tell and Elmer’ing new members. Please review the two documents sent-out by our Vice-President Mike W8XH.

Election of Club Officers for 2019

We will nominate and elect club officers for 2019. We have individuals interested in serving all positions, however, if you have an interest in a particular position, please contact any of the current officers to ask about expectations for the office. These positions are open to all members in good standing.

Meeting Announcement

When: Sunday November 11th, 2018, 6:30 PM EDT

Where: Witch’s Hat Depot – Freight House

Agenda

  • ARISS: Information and Status of Application

Attendance Sheet

  • Verify Quorum

No Meeting Minutes – no Quorum during October meeting

Old Business

New Business

  • New Constitution and By Laws
  • Election of Club Officers – Directors of SLAARC
  • Repeater Committee

Meeting Adjournment

Posted in SLAARC News

October President’s Newsletter and Meeting Announcement

Hello Fall

The temperatures have begun to edge ever colder and the leaves have begun their changes. As the days become shorter and summer storms lessen, the lower bands become more intriguing to operate.

ARISS

Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) is a cooperative venture of international amateur radio societies and the space agencies that support the International Space Station (ISS). In the United States, sponsors are the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT), the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space (CASIS) and National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).

On Thursday, there will be a meeting and video-conference about the application process for hosting an ARISS event. The Salem-South Lyon Library is hosting the meeting and will include representatives from the South Lyon Schools and a local ARISS-experienced ham. The meeting will go from 7:00 to 9:00 PM at the Salem-South Lyon Library on October 11th.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1255190427956054/

Astronomy at the Beach

We had a great time at the 2018 Astronomy at the Beach event on September 14th and 15th. Many visitors stopped by and were introduced to the various facets of the hobby. A video shot by Mike K8MRD highlights some of the activity.

Presentation-Show and Tell

“AMSAT: Current Status and Future Plans”

Come discuss Amateur Satellites with Keith, KB1SF/VA3KSF
Treasurer and Past President of AMSAT-NA.

Keith lives in Ontario, near the border of Michigan. He is active in many areas of the hobby. I would recommend checking out his web page.

http://www.kb1sf.com

Meeting Announcement

When: Sunday October 14th, 2018, 6:30 PM EDT

Where: Witch’s Hat Depot – Freight House

Agenda

  • AMSAT: Current Status and Future Plans

Attendance Sheet

  • Verify Quorum

Secretary’s report from last meeting

SLAARC_September_2018_Meeting_Minutes

Treasurer’s report

President’s Report

  • ARISS Proposal

Vice-President’s Report

Committee Reports

  • Event/Field Day
  • Web Committee

Old Business

New Business

Meeting Adjournment

Posted in SLAARC News

September President’s Newsletter and Meeting Announcement

Late Summer

We are in the last month of Summer. Even though the bands may be poor, there is plenty of activity on the ft8 portions of the bands.

Late Summer and Early Fall is a great time to get out and enjoy the great outdoors. When going out be sure to bring your favorite radio and antenna to work some portable set-up.

Presentation-Show and Tell

Astronomy at the Beach

This is an annual event. This year it will occur at Island Lake Rec Area on Friday, September 14th and Saturday, September 15th. The astronomy programs start at 6:00 PM and go until 12:00-Midnight.

SLAARC will set-up on both days. On Friday, we would be there sometime before 6:00. On Saturday, we will be there sometime mid-afternoon.

More details will be discussed at the membership meeting.

Portable Set-Up’s

What are some of the portable set-up’s members are using? We will have some portable radio and antenna’s set-up for show-and-tell.

Meeting Announcement

When: Sunday September 9th, 2018, 6:30 PM EDT

Where: Witch’s Hat Depot – Freight House

Agenda

  • Open Discussion

Attendance Sheet

  • Verify Quorum

Secretary’s report from last meeting

SLAARC_August_2018_Meeting_Minutes

Treasurer’s report

President’s Report

Vice-President’s Report

Committee Reports

  • Event/Field Day
  • Web Committee

Old Business

New Business

  • N8BHT/R

Meeting Adjournment

Posted in SLAARC News

August President’s Newsletter and Meeting Announcement

Summer Time

Parks on the Air (POTA) is in full swing. Many are bringing their equipment with them on trips and taking the time to activate parks along the way. Keep an eye out for club members and be sure to spot them.

So far the Summer has been fairly hot and dry. It’s about this time that one begins to long for the cool days of Fall.

What!!!

Good news spreads fast…bad news faster. Unfortunately, the 2nd running of the Great Lakes HamCon was cancelled. It was due to failure to reach an agreement for use of the MIS facility. This also means that SLAARC will not be running the special event station K8MIS.

Next Event

Our next planned event is Astronomy at the Beach. It will occur at Island Lake Rec Area, September 14th and 15th. Keep a lookout of what the event committee will be planning for this.

Presentation

Mortty

Starts approximately at 7:00 PM

Steve (N8AR) and Larry (K8UT) will present “The Mortty Story”.  Mortty is an inexpensive Do-It-Yourself construction project (like a Heathkit) using a miniature enclosure, Arduino Nano and custom PCB to build a platform to run K0SM’s TinyFSK RTTY Keyer software, K3NG’s CW Keyer (K1EL Winkeyer compatible) software as well as W1HKJ’s nanoIO software using fldigi. They will describe how Mortty came to be, how it evolved, how it works, how it is used and why you might want one (or two). There will be several demos of Mortty in action.

Meeting Announcement

When: Sunday August 12th, 2018, 6:30 PM EDT

Where: Witch’s Hat Depot – Freight House

Agenda

  • Open Discussion
  • Show and Tell
  • Verify Order of Agenda

Attendance Sheet

  • Verify Quorum

Vote to accept Secretary’s report from last meeting

SLAARC_July_2018_Meeting_Minutes

Treasurer’s report

President’s Report

Vice-President’s Report

Committee Reports

  • Event/Field Day
  • Web Committee

Old Business

New Business

Meeting Adjournment

Posted in Ham News, SLAARC News

Introducing Groups.io for the e-mail list

Members of the SLAARC e-mail list may have noticed a new e-mail that came out during July. It was generated from a newly created e-mail group created on Groups.io

What is Groups.io?

At base, it is a new form of an e-mail group. It allows for a clear method of managing a list of e-mail users.

More information is available in this article

Introducing Groups.io

How will SLAARC use Groups.io?

We will replace our manually managed e-mail list with Groups.io. When sending out group-wide communication, it will be done thru Groups.io. Other features are available and may be activated over time

https://groups.io/static/features

How is it different?

  • Members are able to subscribe and unsubscribe to the list
  • When responding to a group e-mail notice, the response may also go out to all in the list
  • Some types of communication require authorization of the group owners
Posted in SLAARC News

July President’s Newsletter and Meeting Announcement

Field Day 2018

We put another one in the books. The weekend forecast was showing rain for the entire duration of the event. That did not deter the Friday set-up crew. A contingent showed up early to get going before any rain hit. As it turned out, we only received some light sprinkles while finishing the assembly of the main tower.

Not only did we get the towers up, we had both main carport structures up. This allowed for has to bring their rigs and try them out on the antenna farm we had available on Friday. This was a new addition to our annual Field Day. It was well received by those that normally do not have access to such antennas.

Another first this year was using Steve’s N8AR trailer to set-up two radio stations. The accommodations were comfortable for up-to four people at the two positions. This was also well received by those that operated in the trailer.

The rain mostly stayed away, except for some significant showers early Sunday morning. The structures were more than capable of handling the rain and no issues resulted from the brief showers.

One bonus was the creation and uploading a video of our FD from Mike K8MRD.

SLAARC 2018 Field Day Video – K8MRD

What went well? What would you wish were different?

In our July meeting, we will review the results of FD, discuss the main achievements of this year’s event, and discuss as a club what should be considered for our next FD. Please come to the meeting ready to discuss how it went for you.

Presentation

Field Day 2018 Wrap-Up

Starts approximately at 7:00 PM

Eric K8ERS will review the event committee’s results for Field Day 2018

  • Results
  • What went well
  • Wishes for next event

Meeting Announcement

When: July 8th, 2018, 6:30 PM EDT

Where: Witch’s Hat Depot – Freight House

Agenda

  • Open Discussion
  • Show and Tell
  • Verify Order of Agenda

Attendance Sheet

  • Verify Quorum

Vote to accept Secretary’s report from last meeting

SLAARC_June_2018_Meeting_Minutes

Treasurer’s report

President’s Report

Vice-President’s Report

Committee Reports

  • Event/Field Day
  • Web Committee

Old Business

New Business

Meeting Adjournment

Posted in SLAARC News

SLAARC 2018 Field Day Video – K8MRD

Mike K8MRD made a great video chronicling our Field Day…check it out and share.

Thanks and 73

Posted in SLAARC News, Special Event Station

June President’s Newsletter and Meeting Announcement

Dayton Hamvention

This was the second year for the Dayton Hamvention in Xenia, OH. It did rain, as in the previous year. This brought forth mud, but no as much as in thee previous year. The organizers addressed many of the issue last year  with the traffic and mud in the Flea Market area. The was well represented with many members stopping by the club table.

Parks on the Air (POTA)

One of the most enthusiastic groups in Dayton were the POTA hams. They exchanged may interesting stories and went away with even more energy to activate parks. As part of this, N8SL activated Island Lake Rec Area

 

And now, for the Main Event

It has turned to June. Our main event is upon us. As in previous years, it will be held at ames F. Atchison Memorial Park, which is located behind the Lyon Township Municipal Center, at 58000 Grand River Avenue in New Hudson. As in previous years, we will begin set-up on Friday, June 22, run from 14:00 EDT Saturday, June 23 to Sunday, June 24, 14:00 EDT, and tear-down immediately following event. For some of the potential changes this year, please come to our next meeting.

Meeting Announcement

When: Sunday, June 10th, beginning at 6:30 EDT

Where: Witch’s Hat Depot – Freight House

Agenda

Round of Introductions

Verify Order of Agenda

Show & Tell

Presentation

Field Day 2018

Starts approximately at 7:00 PM

Eric K8ERS will be the event committee’s plans for Field Day 2018

  • What is staying the same
  • What will change
  • How we can help

Business Meeting Call to order

Attendance

Pass around the attendance sheet.

Standard Items

Vote to accept Secretary’s report from last meeting

SLAARC_May_2018_Meeting_Minutes

Treasurer’s report

President’s Report

Vice-President’s Report

Committee Reports

  • Event/Field Day
  • Web Committee

Old Business

Dayton

New Business

Meeting Adjournment

Posted in SLAARC News

May President’s Newsletter and Meeting Announcement

Goodbye Spring and Hello Summer!

What happened since the last meeting? We were getting snow and still had winter storm warnings up north, and then Summer broke out! I had to rush to do some antenna work before the snow disappeared.

And so it begins

The Event committee is ramping up for the summer activities. First is our 2018 Field Day. We have also invited the Livingston Amateur Radio Klub ,LARK, to participate. Their club has the Howell Ballon Fest the same weekend and will support as part of the community outreach for Livingston County.

The other event is K8MIS special event station for the Great Lakes Ham Con. Even though the main event is in October, there will be opportunities to make the call active during the MIS race weekends during the summer.

Now is a great time to get involved and help define what exciting things we will be doing this summer!

What is Software Defined Radio, SDR

For those interested in SDR, we have a great program for May. Mike VA3M will join use via the web to present the latest information from FlexRadio Systems. There will be an opportunity to ask questions during the presentation.

VA3M-Flex Radio Capabilities-4-18

Meeting Announcement

When: Sunday, May 6th, beginning at 6:30 EDT

Where: Witch’s Hat Depot – Freight House

Agenda

Round of Introductions

Verify Order of Agenda

Show & Tell

Presentation

“Flex Radio Systems, Utilizing the Latest SDR Capabilities”

Starts approximately at 7:00 PM

Michael Walker VA3MW will be calling into the meeting to discuss:

  • Why SDR Radio
  • Utilizing the Latest SDR Capabilities

Business Meeting Call to order

Attendance

Pass around the attendance sheet.

Standard Items

Vote to accept Secretary’s report from last meeting

Treasurer’s report

President’s Report

Vice-President’s Report

Committee Reports

  • Event/Field Day
  • Web Committee

Old Business

Dayton

New Business

Meeting Adjournment

Posted in SLAARC News